DBZ Vortex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DBZ Vortex

The number one forum and resource for Dragon Ball Z Legendary Super Warrior sprites

PortalHomeLatest imagesRulesRegisterLog in

Share | 

VSI: The Vortex Spriting Initiative

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Blues Light
Administrator
Blues Light

VSI: The Vortex Spriting Initiative Empty
PostVSI: The Vortex Spriting Initiative

Ok guys, you've asked about it.
Imma tell you about it.

VSI, the Vortex Spriting Initiative, is mean to create the largest coherent library of LSW sheets in a single, uniform style ever made. How many times has someone wanted to make a comic, only to have to sheet several characters on their own, or request someone else to do it for them? Well, we're here to fix this issue.

VSI spriting is open to every member of the DBZ Vortex community. With that said, there is a small group of quality-control staff, the VSI Submission Team, who will go over each submitted sheet and check it to make sure that it matches the VSI style in terms of shading, proportions, and overall quality. The overall goal is to have all the sprites appear as if they'd come from one single DBZ game, rather than appear obviously from dozens of different creators.

The overall style is an updated, 3-tone shaded, LSW. More examples will be made available in the coming days as we hammer out the last details, yet I can provide you with a one-shot emphasizing the basic style:
VSI: The Vortex Spriting Initiative VSI_ssjgokuoneshot
This goes without saying, but please don't use this without giving credit to VSI. This whole project exists for Vortexians to use and expand upon, but don't take it for granted eh? Hee

Now for the logistical side of the coin: all sheets must be organized in basically the same manner, which will be given an example as we get a sheet or 2 completed for reference. Anyone on Vortex can begin a sheet, submit it to the VSI review team, and once it's been polished, it'll go into the Vault for public use. You cannot make your sheets exclusive and require your permission to be used. Essentially this is a public service from all of us to all of us, so the VSI sheets are free to use for any member of Vortex, provided that proper credit is given to VSI and the individual spriters of the sheet being used.
What should you do if you want to sprite say, Bojack, and someone else might already be working on Bojack? The simplest thing to do would be to talk with whomever that is and collaborate. Rather than submitting 2 Bojack sheets to the VSI review team and then having us basically reject one or combine them into one sheet, you both should work together to provide a better sheet than either could do alone, and then submit it to VSI.

I'll keep a list in this post of who is currently working on what characters, so that they can be easily referenced. If you post saying "I want to work on ___________!", then work on it by all means. However, if someone else wants to sprite the same character and completes a sheet before you, then you've missed the boat. Perhaps yours could be combined somehow, but this is on a first-come, first-serve basis, so I would STRONGLY advise teamwork and community spirit with this project.

Lastly, don't think of this as VRP was, a private team making sheets for you. Yes there is a small team of reviewers for VSI, but this is to ensure the overall style is maintained, not to take over the project. If you want to know who the spriters are for the Vortex Spriting Initiative, they are each and every one of you who logs into this place and wants to see it become as great as it once was.

List of current sheets in progresss
-Goku, Cell saga: BL, M_J, and Afro.
-Vegeta, Cell saga: BL, M_J, and Afro.

Back to top Go down

Similar topics

-
» Help with my spriting
» Spriting
» I may quit spriting...
» Quitting spriting
» Another Spriting Style?
Share this post on: reddit

VSI: The Vortex Spriting Initiative :: Comments

Synth
Re: VSI: The Vortex Spriting Initiative
Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:39 am by Synth
A few questions;
Will we be making every character in the Dragon Ball series?
In every form?
In every state (battle damaged, levels 1, 2, 3, etc.)?

Also, wouldn't it be a good idea for Vortexians to vote on a specific style? I mean obviously this style, but I can see a few imperfections at first glance.

I can tell that this is going to be big.
L. Cole
Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:01 am by L. Cole
I like this. This is going to be awesome.
Yung Blaze
Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:04 am by Yung Blaze
i relly like it, only thing i dont like about is is that face style but other than that thumbs up
Ravage_Gokan
Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:07 pm by Ravage_Gokan
Hmm. Sounds like a great idea so far. I might get in on it some time later.

A question first though. If this is for all of Vortex to be using, for comics and what not, shouldn't we also be spriting our(or others, with their complete consent) customs for the project. That way the forum isn loaded with what if comics?
Blues Light
Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:18 pm by Blues Light
Ok, questions to be answered:

@Synth: The problem with voting on a style for these sheets is that we will NEVER reach a consensus. Everyone has their particular likes and dislikes, and we feel that this style represents the average of what most people are spriting like today.
As far as forms, battle damaged, etc., we've started at the Cell Saga with Goku and Vegeta, since they are two of the most popular characters in the whole series. If you want, you can do a character from any point in DBZ. If they have a form, and you want to do it, then do it. If not, then don't. Once one form is made, it'll be easier to make sheets of the other forms. The important thing to remember here is that we should cover the basics first: who are the most commonly used characters? What characters and forms does the community want? Those are the sheets I'd like to finish first. If we have 6 Goku sheets and no Android 17 sheet, I'd push for 17 rather than battle-damaged SSJ2, if you follow my example.

@Ravage: If you want to sheet your custom in this style, by all means go for it. I know I'll be sheeting Kale in VSI as well. However, customs are your own personal project and aren't part of the official VSI project? Why you might ask? I'm not giving any one person's custom character importance over another person's custom character, as they are all equal; therefore, customs will not be a part of this project. If you want to use a VSI sheet to base a custom on, or use the VSI style, or whatever, you're more than welcome to, you're encouraged to do so. I can't tell you how many new Saiyan custom sheets I saw when VRP released the first Vegeta sheet. I'm sure it'll happen again this way.
With all that said, once a good many DBZ universe sheets are done, we MIGHT push into making sheets for people who are no longer around but their character is still used. If you're an active spriter, we're not sheeting your custom for you. That'd just be weird.
Bob
Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:18 pm by Bob
Nice, idea, I'll sure try to sheet Bardock later. But a suggestion: wouldn't it be nice to have a base? With no hair and a generic suit? It'd be way easier to sheet anything perfectly on the style.
Rainboob
Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:24 pm by Rainboob
yeah bob is right i like this idea but a base would be nice other than that is awsome
Bob
Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:27 pm by Bob
Well, explaining even more, a base sheet would be much more usefull to start the project than a Goku and Vegeta sheet, I think.
Ravage_Gokan
Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:08 pm by Ravage_Gokan
Okay sorry Blues, let me rephrase what I meant. So you're sheeting Kale in VSI, let's say I choose to sheet Soka in VSI and Afro chooses to sheet Ran'Dum. Would these be stored in the same place as the Canon VSI Sheets? Or would they be as they are now? I ask because you mentioned the project to help with things such as comics, so it would only make sense to accept customs in the style for said comics. You know what I mean?
Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:24 pm by N
I love the idea of this, but I'd rather see the style being something closer to the original LSW style. This is closer to JSS/JUS than anything else. I mean, I'm all for "moving forward" and all that razzle-dazzle, but shouldn't we stick to LSW as close as we can, while looking refined and current?
Shin Masta
Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:38 am by Shin Masta
Bob, you know damn well there is a base sheet.
Yung Blaze
Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:51 am by Yung Blaze
these projects never cover every character it just not realistic because style change and improve it just not realistic to get everyone
Mistah_Jayden
Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:09 am by Mistah_Jayden
Nixta wrote:
I love the idea of this, but I'd rather see the style being something closer to the original LSW style. This is closer to JSS/JUS than anything else. I mean, I'm all for "moving forward" and all that razzle-dazzle, but shouldn't we stick to LSW as close as we can, while looking refined and current?

Help us out then. uh can you make a sprite to kinda give an example of what you mean bro?
Synth
Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:14 am by Synth
I think we should make a base sheet.
That way we'd know how to sprite the style rather than going off the tiny Goku image above.
I mean like, it'd be like everybody spriting LSWi without the LSWi base sheet.
Unless of course there already is a sheet or something that I don't know about?
Blues Light
Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:21 am by Blues Light
Synth wrote:
I think we should make a base sheet.
That way we'd know how to sprite the style rather than going off the tiny Goku image above.
I mean like, it'd be like everybody spriting LSWi without the LSWi base sheet.
Unless of course there already is a sheet or something that I don't know about?

I love how I told everyone that was just a preview and we'd have more resources for you soon and no one read that.
Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:28 am by N
I made a temporary base that people can use until "official" resources are released.
[/notadvertising]

The base/sheet should only be able to be used by if the intent is submitting sheets to the VSI project. Otherwise we'll get a clusterfuck of nubs making terribly uncreative sprites in every direction, like the LSWi sheet, and that would be counter-productive to our wider goal.
rip
Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:49 am by rip
i did some tweaking to the goku and came up with thisVSI: The Vortex Spriting Initiative Vsigoku1 creds to me for super kaioken
palette lol
Seto Stevce
Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:38 am by Seto Stevce
I remind you guys that this project has literally just started, so don't expect a sheet within days.

We're still undergoing changes to the sprites to perfect them, though we do plan on having many sprites for people to get an example of, and when a base sheet is released the public is free to go nuts at making sheets. Remember guys, this is going to be the biggest project Vortex has ever seen! We plan on perfecting this so it can head in the right direction and lead to our final goal of making the largest uniform style of DBZ sprites since VRP.
Rainboob
Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:57 am by Rainboob
well i think VSI will turn vortex to live again i want this shit so much!!!
Bob
Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:45 pm by Bob
Blues Light wrote:
I love how I told everyone that was just a preview and we'd have more resources for you soon and no one read that.
I've read everything, but it says that there will be a Goku and a Vegeta sheet, no base, that's why me and Synth said that. I just wanted to help.
Off topic: I don't understand Shin, a veteran troll?!
rip
Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:13 pm by rip
I got one thing to say ...... and that's ....."I call dibs on false ssj goku Cool LOL
Axxon456
Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:10 pm by Axxon456
Thats it, Time to dust off my Mouse and Get BUSSY.
Shin Masta
Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:33 pm by Shin Masta
Bob wrote:

Off topic: I don't understand Shin, a veteran troll?!

What.
rip
Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:24 pm by rip
well i think can officially call dibs on false ssj cuz of this
VSI: The Vortex Spriting Initiative Vsifalsessj :affraid:
blue sorry if i shouldnt be posting this here cuz i feel anything thats fitting to vsi should be in its topic...lol sorry
but if you want to sheet a bunch
of you should try and keep them simple but effective and accurate
Luka
Post Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:13 am by Luka
I'm sorry but I don't like the decision on the VSI D:

I don't like the right foot, and I don't like that we're using noses/mouths but keeping the eyes on the same level, instead of bringing them up a pixel like AB started.

The standing pose seems a little crooked in the legs, and those folds at the bottom of the pants look kind of awkward.

These are my 2 cents, hopefully this isn't the final design of VSI.
Post Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:55 am by N
rip wrote:
well i think can officially call dibs on false ssj cuz of this
VSI: The Vortex Spriting Initiative Vsifalsessj :affraid:
blue sorry if i shouldnt be posting this here cuz i feel anything thats fitting to vsi should be in its topic...lol sorry
but if you want to sheet a bunch
of you should try and keep them simple but effective and accurate

Don't forget credit, rip.
rip
Post Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:00 am by rip
k sorry nixta credit vsi......lol Very Happy
Cody
Post Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:41 am by Cody
This is so fuckin gunna be awesome....
Ryurat
Post Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:31 pm by Ryurat
So if someone wanted to help, but couldnt shade for shit, how would they contribute?
Blues Light
Post Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:25 pm by Blues Light
Ryurat wrote:
So if someone wanted to help, but couldnt shade for shit, how would they contribute?

I would suggest partnering up with another spriter who could shade pretty well and split the workload.
Kane
Post Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:29 am by Kane
....-Been inactive and just came back, now surprised and excited as fuck-

Despite the style not being perfect in everyones minds, I reckon its good and if this project is acutally completed like basically full-on... Well lets just say that Vortex would be complete in terms of the best LSW Sprite Sheets.

PS:Sorry if I sound ass-kissy or whatever, just pretty happy about how epic this sounds.
L. Cole
Post Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:48 pm by L. Cole
Whens the Goku sheet coming out?
Cody
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:50 pm by Cody
Hey btw...the transformations and specials should be anime type..like there should be a proper warp kamehameha...super spirit bomb ..yeah.transformations should look..awesome-ish epic...
Luka
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:19 pm by Luka
Just so everyone knows, the sprites displayed in this thread are not how VSi looks today. We've developed the design a lot and I think we've FINALLY come to a mutual agreement on how the sprites are gonna look. We've already finished about 20 characters give or take (Including transofrmations) and we will be starting on the sheets soon enough. So stay put Hee
Blues Light
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:52 pm by Blues Light
Luka wrote:
Just so everyone knows, the sprites displayed in this thread are not how VSi looks today. We've developed the design a lot and I think we've FINALLY come to a mutual agreement on how the sprites are gonna look. We've already finished about 20 characters give or take (Including transofrmations) and we will be starting on the sheets soon enough. So stay put Hee

The sheets are coming. Jayden's been gone for awhile, I've got 2 theses to write by the end of April, and Seto's hunting kangaroos (I'm sure the other members have outside commitments as well, nobody tells me nuffin T_T), so progress has been a bit slow.
Axxon456
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:03 pm by Axxon456
How much Members are in Vsi?

And I think Mj is gonna be gone for like 2 or so weeks.
Luka
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:04 pm by Luka
Blues Light wrote:
The sheets are coming. Jayden's been gone for awhile, I've got 2 theses to write by the end of April, and Seto's hunting kangaroos (I'm sure the other members have outside commitments as well, nobody tells me nuffin T_T), so progress has been a bit slow.

And I, with my 8-5 job and college courses on mondays and fridays, followed by a social life on weekends, find it quite hard to fit in time to sprite. But I do what I can and by this process we will get shit done, SOONER OR LATER!

Axxon456 wrote:
How much Members are in Vsi?

And I think Mj is gonna be gone for like 2 or so weeks.

It's Blues, Seto, Jayden, Afro, Mysterious Youth and myself, so 6
Bob
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:31 pm by Bob
Will you post the one-shots done?
Luka
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:47 pm by Luka
Bob wrote:

I will discuss it among the other members to see if we are ready to release anything yet
Skull
Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:04 am by Skull
Luka wrote:
Bob wrote:

I will discuss it among the other members to see if we are ready to release anything yet
Can't wait :D
Kane
Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:44 am by Kane
The VSi model up there looks pretty fucking good, please don't change it too much or make it worse if possible.
Luka
Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:32 pm by Luka
I have been given the okay to post our WIPs, but I am at work so I do not have access to all the finished versions. So either I will post them when I get home or somebody else on VSi that has them saved will be putting them up some time today.

Hold tight :)

And we definitely didn't make them look worse. Remember, I was given the fortune of working with the best-o-the-best on Vortex with this project, so nothing they come up with can be bad!

And before I forget, a lot of the sprites are basic edits of already-made sprites that I found perfect enough already, so much due credit is given to AngryBoy and SkyX, as well as other members of VSi.
Luka
Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:11 pm by Luka
You asked for it, and we shall deliver. Here's what we've come up with so far.

VSI: The Vortex Spriting Initiative Vsi

What do you guys think?
Kane
Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:35 pm by Kane
This looks awesome beyond no believe. Or something like that.

The hair on all of them, are similar to perfect but somehow better then the DBZ Characters in sprite version ofcourse. The attires great, its literally perfect.
If these are sheeted, I will animate them to no end.

Only problem is on Gotenks face, the smile/nose looks a bit weird however that might be me.
Axxon456
Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:46 pm by Axxon456
They are awesome, But It really looks to much like your work luka. No disrespect theyre awesome but i figured it would be more of a Community look instead of someones entire style.
Afrolicious
Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:52 pm by Afrolicious
Axxon456 wrote:
They are awesome, But It really looks to much like your work luka. No disrespect theyre awesome but i figured it would be more of a Community look instead of someones entire style.
FUUUU. Back to the drawing board. -_-
Kane
Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:51 pm by Kane
.... Yeah despite what I said, Axxon's right.

-Just noticed it- The hairs correct though, you should remove the nose and etc I think.

Also the goku ssj2 hair is a bit big and changes from the okay ssj one to a large version of it.
Bob
Post Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:27 am by Bob
I'm not liking that nose-mouth thing aswell. I think LSW is too small for it. And I'm with Axxon about the style, I think it should be a good, but simple style. I also didn't like Vegeta very much. But aside of that, it's all good, if it was a topic from you on DBU section, I'd say: awsome! Very Happy but as it is for VSI, I say you guys should rethink about it.
Something like VRP 1.0, you know, simple, everybody can do, but still awsome.
Synth
Post Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:23 am by Synth
I hate the left hand with a passion, but everything else is perfect.
It's nice to see some accuracy in terms of height instead of kid Gohan being as tall as Nappa.
I take it we're not including GT as a part of VSI?

VSI: The Vortex Spriting Initiative

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 

Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DBZ Vortex :: Information Boards :: Announcements & Updates-