DBZ Vortex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DBZ Vortex

The number one forum and resource for Dragon Ball Z Legendary Super Warrior sprites

PortalHomeLatest imagesRulesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Ifffffffffffffff we had an RP Section......

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Blues Light
Administrator
Blues Light

Ifffffffffffffff we had an RP Section...... Empty
PostIfffffffffffffff we had an RP Section......

What do you boys and girls want in it?

What manner of RPG? Since this is a DBZ Spriting forum, it would, at least in part, be DBZ-themed, but we've all seen how loosely that theme is applied.

What kind of system? Completely free-form focusing on storytelling? Some sort of leveling system to make it more of a game? Something different?

Any well thought-out ideas are completely welcome.

Starting a flame war or bashing the idea of an RPG simply to get people all pissed off won't be tolerated Hee
Back to top Go down

Similar topics

-
» Tutorial Section
» Wrong section
» Wrong section
» Another wrong section
» New section suggestion.
Share this post on: reddit

Ifffffffffffffff we had an RP Section...... :: Comments

Dremorian
Re: Ifffffffffffffff we had an RP Section......
Post Wed May 18, 2011 12:09 am by Dremorian
To be honest, I think that we should just have free RP's, where the individual RP's have their own rules and ideas.
Or, if this is an official forum RP, I suppose it just should be simple story telling. But that's just me. Honestly, I don't like all the work of keeping track of the levels and such.
The Avenger
Post Wed May 18, 2011 8:03 am by The Avenger
Well there would need to be some sort of leveling system to keep an order and the level of God modding down.
That being the case, I believe focussing on the story would be a lot better.
Maybe a levelling system that ties in with an individuals involvement in said stories... or creating their own stories?

One thing I think would be bad is a Word count system as the literary geniuses would take the lead indefinately
L. Cole
Post Wed May 18, 2011 8:05 am by L. Cole
There will need to be a leveling system, with different characters and their stories.
Not just posting up random, Training topics to get their level up.
Blues Light
Post Wed May 18, 2011 12:06 pm by Blues Light
I appreciate the responses so far.

However, instead of saying what we ought to have, how about some ideas as to implement what we should have?
MrChaos
Post Wed May 18, 2011 12:14 pm by MrChaos
We need the RPG system back so bad.
A word count RPG is no good indeed, but what could work is to point out someone who can "judge" the post on how many power level it deserves?
also, bots who maybe can be played by some members that are open to having a bot next to their normal RP instead of a mod running all the bots?
The Avenger
Post Wed May 18, 2011 12:15 pm by The Avenger
If/When we get enough players we should have more interaction to the game itself.

For example (I saw this on a Byond DBZ game and it went down really well)
Saiyan characters that could potentially become the King of Saiyans
Earth/Namek character that could become the Guardian etc etc
Long shot but it gains a lot of interest.
MrChaos
Post Wed May 18, 2011 12:17 pm by MrChaos
The Avenger wrote:
If/When we get enough players we should have more interaction to the game itself.

For example (I saw this on a Byond DBZ game and it went down really well)
Saiyan characters that could potentially become the King of Saiyans
Earth/Namek character that could become the Guardian etc etc
Long shot but it gains a lot of interest.

agreed.
That sounds pretty cool. But once again it could over power people and start people commanding others.
The Avenger
Post Wed May 18, 2011 12:28 pm by The Avenger
Well thats kida the point, in games like this the players never get any authority.
Granted the player must be known to be a responsible player
but there are so many different story arcs that can come out of it.
MrChaos
Post Wed May 18, 2011 4:58 pm by MrChaos
The Avenger wrote:
Well thats kida the point, in games like this the players never get any authority.
Granted the player must be known to be a responsible player
but there are so many different story arcs that can come out of it.

Yes, but then you'd get bitchfights over:" Can I become this and that? and why am I not responsible enough blar di blar.
L. Cole
Post Wed May 18, 2011 5:08 pm by L. Cole
And to think this was all because of me.

Yeah but I agree. But there has to be some law, and authority, no god-modding
and whining about posts. It should be like a interactive game (I know games are) like in a Oblivion kind of way, the way everything was set up, if you broke a law you'd have to pay the bounty on your, head, theft, murder even. There should be a more ordered, way of doing things.
Blues Light
Post Wed May 18, 2011 5:12 pm by Blues Light
That's exactly the problem with free-form RP, people tend to either god-mod or get very butthurt because someone did something they don't like but there's nothing the butthurt fellow can do about it.
Fortex
Post Wed May 18, 2011 5:41 pm by Fortex
Can't we just do it SotD style but with a level cap? WoW style babeh. Every now and then raise the cap, and possibly have villains and shit in udpates that are controlled by the RP mods and their power is higher and therefore need the combined capabilities of the entire RPG to take that fucker out.

Just a thought.
Inverse Knight
Post Wed May 18, 2011 6:11 pm by Inverse Knight
Zach, I have a lot of ideas I've discussed with Tom, but my schedule doesn't permit another RP right now. I can barely run one. I think the Vortex RPG is, always has been, and always will be, a good god damn program. It's where me and Tommy got to be bros.

I agree with rules based. But I think we need to seriously make a point to balance the races. I've shown Ant and Tom exactly how that should be done. Balancing Characters is a big part of all RPG's. It's ludicrous to do otherwise.

I remember an RP you guys had a long time ago. Post SOTDI but before SOTDIII. I think it was Vortex Chronicles or something. You had a moogle Avatar, Zach. It was an amalgom of different Shonen Series. I think that's the best way to go. Purely original shit doesn't get going here, but creative compilations do.

Until my schedule frees I can't be directly involved, but I am willing and wanting to act as an advisor to the progress of any RPG. We know the team we need.

Tommy, Ant, Zack, Sam, myself. In no particular order. I think this could be a great thing for the site's traffic, in all honesty.
Blues Light
Post Wed May 18, 2011 8:10 pm by Blues Light
I'll say this much. I've run at least 4 different RPGs. I'll help set up the system and help out a bit once it's running, but I actually wanna play this time.

I'm asking the community at large, especially those who've played/run our RPGs before to come up with the game.

@ Fortex: I like the WoW idea. It could be something to explore in as far as items/quests/etc.
Shin Masta
Post Wed May 18, 2011 9:52 pm by Shin Masta
I prefer DBZ rpgs.

PURE DBZ. Non of that Bleach cross over shit.
Razøer_Starlock_Fury
Post Thu May 19, 2011 1:14 am by Razøer_Starlock_Fury
Shin Masta wrote:
I prefer DBZ rpgs.

PURE DBZ. None of that Bleach cross over shit.
None of that Naruto cross-over shit either.
MrChaos
Post Thu May 19, 2011 3:25 am by MrChaos
Dice system didnt work out either or did it?
Post Thu May 19, 2011 5:22 am by deathlord
why not keep to the rp system but restrict the amount you can gain a day. Instead of someone posting a bomb shell of 1-2k word posts lower it down to say 400-500. so that no one can suddenly jump from just starting to full ssj1.
The Avenger
Post Thu May 19, 2011 5:58 am by The Avenger
Shin Masta wrote:
I prefer DBZ rpgs.

PURE DBZ. Non of that Bleach cross over shit.

Shin speaks the truth
As this is a DBZ based Forum it would be right to represent the show.
Fortex
Post Thu May 19, 2011 4:26 pm by Fortex
Yeah it's annoying when we get concepts from a billion different animes in one RPG, summers coming up so I might actually end up joining this one.
Luka
Post Thu May 19, 2011 5:02 pm by Luka
I want to join but my custom's a little too cliche. What I have in basic art skill I lack in artistic creativity. It's always been that way for me, so maybe if I can come up with an original enough custom I'll join.
L. Cole
Post Thu May 19, 2011 6:47 pm by L. Cole
Luka wrote:
I want to join but my custom's a little too cliche. What I have in basic art skill I lack in artistic creativity. It's always been that way for me, so maybe if I can come up with an original enough custom I'll join.

You need any help with custom character ideas, I'll give yu some.
Luka
Post Thu May 19, 2011 6:54 pm by Luka
Tunechi wrote:
Luka wrote:

You need any help with custom character ideas, I'll give yu some.

I appreciate the offer but I needa make it on my own, or else it defeats the definition of the word "custom" XP
Blues Light
Post Sun May 22, 2011 2:36 am by Blues Light
Sooooo, we letting this idea sit around for awhile?

Those of you who want this RPG, I haven't gotten any PMs or other such pokes and prods with ideas/systems/etc.
Post Sun May 22, 2011 5:46 am by deathlord
here is an idea that i just came up with. How about incorporating a stat system into the game. How it works is that along with your power level you have points in each attribute that will cut down on god modding. How i thought you could gain these points is for every 300 word training post you gain 3-5 points where you can spend them between what ever you see fit so when the time comes for you to do battle if there is say 2-5 points different in speed or ki you wont have much of a advantage but if you come across someone who has a 20 point advantage in say, ki he would out match you when it comes to ki struggles. Or mabey if I wanted to have a custom that was just a brick shit house i would only build his strengh and endurance.
The Avenger
Post Sun May 22, 2011 7:47 am by The Avenger
Blues Light wrote:

Those of you who want this RPG, I haven't gotten any PMs or other such pokes and prods with ideas/systems/etc.

Umm... I PM'd you some time last week. :|
Blues Light
Post Sun May 22, 2011 2:03 pm by Blues Light
deathlord wrote:
here is an idea that i just came up with. How about incorporating a stat system into the game. How it works is that along with your power level you have points in each attribute that will cut down on god modding. How i thought you could gain these points is for every 300 word training post you gain 3-5 points where you can spend them between what ever you see fit so when the time comes for you to do battle if there is say 2-5 points different in speed or ki you wont have much of a advantage but if you come across someone who has a 20 point advantage in say, ki he would out match you when it comes to ki struggles. Or mabey if I wanted to have a custom that was just a brick shit house i would only build his strengh and endurance.

We've had several successful stat systems before :)

The Avenger wrote:
Blues Light wrote:

Umm... I PM'd you some time last week. :|

I really do hate our PM system >.< email me Ant.
blueslight37@gmail.com
PhantomAForce
Post Sun May 22, 2011 2:13 pm by PhantomAForce
The Avenger wrote:
Well there would need to be some sort of leveling system to keep an order and the level of God modding down.
That being the case, I believe focussing on the story would be a lot better.
Maybe a levelling system that ties in with an individuals involvement in said stories... or creating their own stories?

One thing I think would be bad is a Word count system as the literary geniuses would take the lead indefinately

That

Segmented level caps should raise whenever a new Sage (+10 originality) comes into play. Would keep god modding down.

Also, when a new saga starts, for new players, there should be raised PL/level or w/e.

For example:

Sage 1
Starting PL: 100
Starting level 1

Sage 2
Starting PL 500
Starting level 5

Just so new players won't get left behind or be intimidated to join.
Ravage_Gokan
Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:39 am by Ravage_Gokan
Well. Since this won't be a grave dig, I'd like to put in my 67 and 2/3 cents.

I think a storytelling based rpg, with a twist of leveling would be great. Such as this.

Levels: Everyone starts at level 1.

Level 1 Stats

Power stats
Overall - 20
Ki - ?
Melee - ?
Stamina - ?
Speed - ?
Unused: 0

Everyone will start the game with 20 points. at least 1 point must be allocated to each stat. Therefore the user has 16 points to tinker with.
Everyone is allowed two techniques. One melee and one ki. Their choosing.
Everyone starts with one passive ability, ki-infused melee.

Now, I'm trying not to get nit-gritty here but it's hard not to. Each level will require an amount of experience(XP). This is earned by the amount of words. For instance.

Level 1
XP - 0
XP Needed to level - 1000

Each word would be worth 1 XP.
Depending on the leveling requirements would change the amount of Skill Points added.
New powers can be unlocked with Skill Points, 2 points for a basic technique, 3 for a beam(such as kamehameha), 4 for a finisher(such as big bang).

Each NEW TOPIC will refresh a characters power.
Each battle or training will start with the characters at the last power they had.
(For instance if there is a bunch of fights, leading up to a strong enemy, the characters power could be deplenished to 50% before the "boss")

Forms could be limited based on level, and SHOULD NOT cost skill points, but rather should require other elements, such as a super namekian requiring a fusion and super saiyan requiring a reason such as anger. Of course they would need to type about that as well.

Well. I could keep going. But how about I just let you think over the idea, and get back to me on your view?
Blues Light
Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:14 am by Blues Light
I've actually got an RPG system in the worls that is similar in nature but less grindy in that you don't have to work your ass off for XP but will still let you build your character from the ground up and set up your fighting style with your stats, learned techniques, etc.

Trust Daddy on this one, it's gonna be massive.
Kane
Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:58 am by Kane
I honestly hate stat systems unless their loosely based. Can we just have one similar to Burst Fire Legacy but you get the four stats.

Stamina
Speed
Ki
Meele

And you get to state what your good at like so

Stamina - High
Speed - Average
Ki - Average
Meele - High

So its simply but loosely or just have strength and weaknesses cause people want simple RPs, not something retarded where they have to rack their brains out.
Blues Light
Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:15 am by Blues Light
If you want to play Burt Fire Legacy, go play Burst Fire Legacy <3

Seeing as how the new Vortex RPG is still under heavy construction, let's not knock it before we know what it is.
Kane
Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:23 am by Kane
Got it. Refferring to SoT3 more though, however it doesn't matter.

Good luck I guess.
Blues Light
Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:03 am by Blues Light
This thread isn't dead btw.

MOAR IDEAS PEOPLE! THIS RPG IS LAUNCHING IN LIKE A WEEK OR 2. I HAVEN'T BEEN IDLE YO!
L. Cole
Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:14 am by L. Cole
That the races be moar awesome, and that you add spice to the rules.
Blues Light
Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:38 pm by Blues Light
Tunechi wrote:
That the races be moar awesome, and that you add spice to the rules.

That tells me nothing. Be specific.
Inverse Knight
Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:57 pm by Inverse Knight
I think he's saying, and this is a long-stretch, I don't speak idjit very well "add more variety to the playable races, including those formerly unseen in RPG's and provide a unique and engaging set of rules for us to abide by". Like I said, a stretch.
Blues Light
Post Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:03 pm by Blues Light
People, people, people. I get PMs everyday asking when the RPG is gonna start.

How about a little support? Please?

I'd like to know how many people are gonna be playing.
Kane
Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:34 am by Kane
Blues Light wrote:

Establish the rules first.
Inverse Knight
Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:19 am by Inverse Knight
Kane wrote:
Blues Light wrote:

Establish the rules first.

As much as I hate to agree; the kid has a point. Zack, you really out to tell the little ones how exactly we're doing this.
Blues Light
Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:51 am by Blues Light
Since I had this written out and then clicked on my PMs like a moron, I'm going to list an outline instead of a good prologue which I'll re-write and post later when I'm not tired and slightly pissed -.-'

UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Ifffffffffffffff we had an RP Section...... KrillinWorking

-Alternate Universe. Still set Post-Z.
-Majins created as peaceful race instead of Uub being created.
-Vegeta wishes Saiyan race back before he dies.
-Namekian Warrior caste has been reformed.
-Red Ribbon Army is reformed. Androids much more common.

As for gameplay...
-NO TRAINING.
-Gain XP from Quests or RPing.
-Quests unlock abilities, items, and possibly transformations.
-Special Training from characters like King Kai and the various Hermits.
-Saiyans are not playable (no flaming!).
-Fighting Styles for each race that determine abilities (new styles can be learned and advanced styles can be added to base styles. More on this later).
-Items and Equipment provide bonuses and abilities.
-Androids do not learn abilities. Instead Androids buy upgrades to determine their abilities.
-Simple Stat system enhances fighting style and abilities.
-Levels are gained from XP. Current maximum level is 10. More levels, fighting styles, and items will be released on a regular basis via RPG Expansions.
-HP and combat will be much fairer than before.
-Death isn't a major pain in the ass anymore.

I now await questions.

Last edited by Blues Light on Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Inverse Knight
Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:59 am by Inverse Knight
I'm going to go ahead and get this out of the way.

Y U NU PUT SAYUNS IN!? TEY R TEH AEWSUM!

Saiya-Jins are problematic for the game-system. They're over-powered, over-played, and fucking stupid. :3
Kane
Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:07 am by Kane
Honestly? I probably wouldn't play this, looks too annoying not fun and sheer just racking my bawls to figure out how to play.

Theres my opinion.
Blues Light
Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:08 am by Blues Light
Kane wrote:
Honestly? I probably wouldn't play this, looks too annoying not fun and sheer just racking my bawls to figure out how to play.

Theres my opinion.

This is why we don't base opinions off one-post explanations of a game. It's less work than Rez's RPG that you're currently playing every day.
Kane
Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:12 am by Kane
Blues Light wrote:
Kane wrote:

Theres my opinion.

This is why we don't base opinions off one-post explanations of a game. It's less work than Rez's RPG that you're currently playing every day.
Yeah? Rez's RPG is like SOTD3 the same reason why I play it, you know your system might be good but some points you wrote down just annoyed me because of how the hell it was going to work. If it is great and more simple then how you made it out to be then I will most likely play. Theres a reason SoTD3 was quite active for a while. I think its because how simple it is.

Last edited by Kane on Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Blues Light
Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:13 am by Blues Light
If you wanna play Rez's RPG, play his RPG. I've stated in this thread several times that they won't be the same. If you don't like it, don't play. It's that simple.

I'm actually giving the game depth, not just a basic system that gets no more development than half-cocked events and generic characters. I'd like this game to last for a long time, not just "a while."

Last edited by Blues Light on Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Inverse Knight
Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:14 am by Inverse Knight
Kane wrote:

Theres my opinion.

Your opinion is so reasonable and developed; I am in complete awe of your cognitive prowess. Honestly, in the history of valid arguments, this demands a place atop the record books.
Kane
Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:16 am by Kane
Warrior Of Light wrote:
Kane wrote:

Theres my opinion.

[sarcasm]Your opinion is so reasonable and developed; I am in complete awe of your cognitive prowess. Honestly, in the history of valid arguments, this demands a place atop the record books. [/sarcasm]

Fixed for ya'.
Blues Light
Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:32 am by Blues Light
In order to address your concerns, here's some finer points:

-Saiyans aren't playable simply to avoid the outclassing of every other race without making up a ridiculous amount of transformations. If everyone has massive power level multipliers, than no one really needs them. Saiyans work as the main race of an anime but when trying to balance around them, every other race needs to be crazy overpowered, or the Saiyans have to be watered down until they're no longer Saiyans, they're blond humans.

-The Stat System will resemble the one from Dragonball Rumble, in that instead of one flat power level, you can specialize in speed, strength, ki, or just being a fucking brick shithouse. It gives you room to flesh out how your character fights instead of just "my number is bigger than yours. I'll beat you in 5 posts."

-Quests will serve as single-player storylines or group storylines if you want to quest with a friend. They can range from something as simple as stopping a robbery or exploring a cave to something as complex as re-living a classic battle against Freeza or unlocking your destiny. Each race will have racial quests and each planet and area will also have quests. Quests reward more XP and items than from straight RPing. If you're in a thread with someone in another time zone, quests give you something to do without needing to wait for a reply.

-The older Path Training system is going to be expanded. Seriously, we're going to have a fuckton of Paths. There will always be a Path to do in order to learn new abilities or gain stats. Paths differ from quests in that they give specific bonuses pending your fighting style.

-Fighting styles all share a common pool of basic DBZ abilities, like flying and ki usage. After that, they vary quite a bit. A Martial Artist, patterend after Goku, is balanced in the 3 areas of combat: offense, defense, and ki abilities. A Namekian Priest or a Majin Magician will have greater ki abilities at the cost of physical abilities, whereas an Android War Machine or a Plutonian Mako will excel in physical combat. Fighting styles can be expanded to include a secondary style to augment your primary style, and Advanced Styles will be added once the majority of players are higher level in order to allow more customization.

-The Pendulum Room is a new feature I've wanted to add for a long time. Basically there will be a set of forum dice that you roll once you post. Instead of a dice with numbers, it will have far more sides, with each side being an NPC opponent, such as Dodoria or Android 17 or whoever. There will be brackets of the Pendulum Room as you grow in power so you can always have a strong opponent to fight.

-Other nifty features will be an Item system that will include things like gravity machines, grow-a-Saibaman kits, Senzu beans, and other nifty things that can enhance your roleplaying.

Rather than sitting and waiting on someone else to accept your thread or NPC for you or for someone to respond to a thread, I'm placing the majority of this RPG in the hands of the players. You will get as much out of this RPG as you put into it. Nothing's given. Everything's earned.

Ifffffffffffffff we had an RP Section......

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DBZ Vortex :: Information Boards :: Announcements & Updates-